Saturday, January 27, 2018

Driving with Fido

If I tell you that dogs in Park City are like sacred cows in India, I'm probably repeating myself.

It's quite common to see drivers (mostly female) motoring along with their pooch on their laps. I think this practice is irresponsible, dangerous and idiotic and it prompted me to check if it was legal in Utah, my home state.

Well, there's nothing in the books against it, it seems. Just like we can drive barefoot or pile up passengers on the open bed of a pick-up truck. Back to dogs behind the wheel, I think the practice is at least as bad as texting or talking into a cell phone glued to the ear, and probably more dangerous if the animal suddenly goes berserk, or the vehicle comes to screeching halt.

Only one state, Hawaii, makes it illegal to drive while holding an animal in the driver's lap or in the driver’s immediate area.

New Jersey is paying a bit more attention to the problem and can fine drivers up to $1,000 if they hold a pet in ways that can impair their driving.

Connecticut may also charge drivers for having pets in their laps but the rest of the country doesn't seem to care.

I probably missed it, but stupidity must be etched into our constitution.

No comments: