Wednesday, November 6, 2019

A life-changing vote

Yesterday was election day in Park City and this reminded me that about 50 years ago, I too was the subject of a vote that would have a tremendous impact on my future and my entire life.

Back then, I walked through what looked like a boat door that lead into the small office of the Avoriaz ski school, near my hometown of Montriond, in the French Alps.

Once I passed that hatch, I found a dozen ski instructors, boys and girls, sitting there and ready to decide if I were worthy of joining their precious little universe.

I can’t remember what I said to make my case, or how I answered some of the questions I was asked, but suffice to say that I passed the hurdle and got admitted, under the condition that I would attend a one-week clinic to become an assistant instructor.

I was thrilled, and deep inside, I knew that my acceptance by this group of people I barely knew would usher a wonderful life for me...

No comments: