Saturday, November 16, 2019

OK, Boomer

I must have been living under some rock, because it’s only recently that I became aware of the generation-splitting interjection called “OK, Boomer!”

That slang expression isn’t actually that old as it took off early this year, and is traced to millennials and Generation Z, as a reply or reaction to older users, conveniently identified as “baby boomers”, that are posting material judged to be condescending by these younger generations or can in some cases, exacerbate their sensibilities.

Call it a knee-jerk response, if you want, to a generational war of words. Some will see it as a predictable answer from teens and young adults to grumpy videos, resistance to technological change, climate change deniers, Trump’s tweets, and basically any comments dismissive about the upcoming generations, originating from individuals over 40.
From what I’ve read or heard, a large number of baby-boomers haven’t responded too well to “OK, boomer”. Some time ago, Bob Lonsberry, a radio host caused quite a stir by tweeting that “’Boomer’ is the N-word of ageism.” That comment didn’t go over well, with some responding that the “N-word” is one of the most offensive words in the English language.

While this duel that may go on for a long time, I do not feel too concerned because I continue to think that I remain very young in spirit, I'm still super progressive, and I do not feel concerned at all if I happen to hear "OK, Boomer", I'll remain convinced that this call isn’t really intended for me!

No comments: