Monday, June 29, 2020

Want to communicate better: Stand up!

Steven Colbert’s “The Late Show", from CBS, currently filmed from his home and backyard in Montclair, New Jersey, due to the coronavirus pandemic. In my opinion, it’s not what it used to be in studio.
Sure, that’s just like David Letterman used to do it in studio, sitting behind his desk to deliver his late-night comedy routine.

At home, though, I think Colbert should be standing. Most of his good studio performance was delivered standing up, which, in my sense added to the dynamics, liveliness and interest in the show. His current sitting position makes him look weak, passive and not in control.

I strongly feel he should be standing up, as this would add to the quality of his delivery. The lungs function better, the voice projects more forcefully and it forces the speaker to be much more present, concentrated and in the moment.

I’ve discovered this for myself during the past 6 years as I have relinquished a sitting-down position in my office, in favor to a stand-up desk. But that’s my simple point of view.

What’s yours?

No comments: