When it comes to my dreams, my ability to remember them varies a whole lot. The ones that wake me up brutally and for good, I vividly remember them. The others that I kind of recall in a figment of consciousness, if I live them almost consciously when they occur, I can guarantee you that, the next morning, I still remember having had some dreams, but I’m woefully unable to tell what they were about!
This is pretty much the essence of dream memory, and these are the few conclusions I’ve drawn about them:
- Abrupt awakenings preserve dreams,
- Smooth transitions erase them,
- Awareness doesn’t guarantee recall,
- REM is vivid but poorly stored.
So just to illustrate my above stream of consciousness, here is a recent dream of mine. I believe it was inspired by what I see all along the winter season on the slopes with skiers going backwards. I just saw in my dream three cyclists deciding to ride backwards, against traffic on a steep road, something I would never attempt in my wildest dream (I guess I’m wrong on that account!) I thought to myself “This is crazy, this practice should be forbidden!” I just hope you won’t disagree with me, as it will largely compensate me for waking up…

No comments:
Post a Comment