Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Using AI as a purchasing tool (Part One)

Making a large and complicated purchase that includes a chain of components is never clear-cut and often involves various price structures independent of one another. Home building, projects and renovations are such perfect examples that incorporate a multitude of elements and the variability of each one of them.

If not properly handled, they can end up having a huge impact on the final cost of the project especially considering the job uniqueness and its infrequent occurrence. Early this month, I decided to build a 262’ long fence in my backyard. There was a short 45 year-old 89’ wooden fence in the south end of my garden that was totally rotten and ready to fall that I felt needed to be dealt with. 

I didn’t like it that much but was a convenient 3’ tall fence separating my property to that of the neighbor to the south. As always, one thought led to another and “while I was at it” I decided to look for a more encompassing fence, 6’ tall, that would free me of the deer invasion that we’ve suffered since 2020. This is the thought process that initiated the project. 

Tomorrow we’ll see how I turned to AI for the cost estimate….

No comments: