Friday, August 21, 2026

The power of curiosity (Part Three)

Of course developing curiosity is good and well but there’s also such a thing as unhealthy curiosity. Seeking answers is not automatically wisdom and can become: 

  • A compulsive consumption of information 
  • An intrusion into other people's lives 
  • A fascination with sensationalism 
  • An endless trip into internet rabbit holes 
  • Collecting facts without understanding them 
  • Constantly looking for novelty and being unable to concentrate 

There’s therefore novelty-seeking and genuine curiosity. Novelty says: “What's new?” Curiosity says: “What's interesting here that I don't yet understand?” The second is much more profound. Finally here might be the greatest benefit to healthy curiosity, it’s one of the best antidotes to certainty.

When we are certain we already know, the investigation stops, but when we say “I wonder…”, the door opens again. That is why I think curiosity and humility are closely related. The curious person implicitly acknowledges: “My picture of reality is incomplete,” and that realization can become increasingly valuable with age. 

If I could reduce the whole idea to one sentence, I might put it this way: Knowledge tells us what we know; curiosity keeps us aware of how much remains to be discovered. This might be one of the reasons why a genuinely curious person can remain young in mind long after seemingly becoming old.

No comments: