Saturday, August 8, 2026

Preparing for the big 8.0.! (Part One)

In a little over one year, god willing, I’ll be reaching the ripe old age of 80 and like many people my age, I see this as a significant milestone in my life. 

Finally getting there brings mixed thoughts about our own physical decline, mental reflection, and daily limits. From what I’ve been able to see from folks I know, I am liable to experience accelerated change in my physical body, mental outlook, and social ties. Maybe small things initially when everything else is fine like feeling slower, having less energy, and dealing with joint pain or weak muscles. 

Then there will be all the unavoidable health care developments with simple things like managing more daily medicines and frequent doctor visits to stay reassured, safe and healthy. Mobility issues might also rear their not-so-kind heads, like having to use much more prudence when walking on snow or slippery ground, or down the road resorting to the use of canes or walkers, and worrying about falling down. 

On the mental and emotional side of the valley of being 80 something, there will be plenty of opportunities to review a lifetime of past choices, including career high points and struggles, as well as family milestones with hopefully deep pride and satisfaction. At the same time, acceptance will become a welcome quantity when we’re forced to find peace with aging while facing the loss of close friends or family members. 

The key is to value each present day and moment while focusing more on peaceful views and good news than over future worries. Tomorrow we’ll explore ways to support a soon to be 80-year-old’s mental health with plenty of tips for safe physical activity and keeping an optimistic outlook past that monumental milestone!

No comments: