Sunday, September 30, 2007

Almost all night long

Yesterday was a miserable day with snow, rain and roaring wind; for once, we stayed home read, had a good dinner and went to see “Ten Canoes” a delightful movie about early aborigine’s society in Australia. We went to bed a 10 pm and even though our bedroom sliding door was closed (because of the frigid night,) we heard a lot of thumping and noise outside. During the day, in spite of the dreary weather, one of our next door neighbors had erected a big, white tent in his backyard. We didn’t quite understand the move at this late stage of year and under such an inclement weather. At any rate, we quickly came to the conclusion that someone must have been celebrating his or her fortieth birthday or something of that sort. In spite of the heavy and sustained noise, we managed to fall asleep and when I woke up, thirty minutes after midnight, the party and its noise were still there, albeit a tad louder and rowdier. I rolled back and forth into my bed trying to make sense of the music and hoping it would now stop at any moment. When the music started playing “That's the way,” the 1975 disco hit by KC & the Sunshine Band, my patience had run out. I went downstairs to my office, picked up the phone, called our friendly police and told them that “I didn’t like it.” A few songs later, at about 1 am, the party stopped and I went back to sleep.

No comments: