Thursday, March 19, 2009

Anger management

While we were staying in Salt Lake City, we went running in an urban environment and with it, amidst heavy traffic. On three occasions, I almost was hit by vehicles that failed to see me, and if I hadn’t ducked at the very last second, I would have ended up on a hood or under a large pickup truck. What’s funny with me is that these kinds of brushes with catastrophe don’t make me angry. Don’t get me wrong, plenty of other subjects do, like the current shenanigans at AIG with its executive bonuses and our inept Secretary of the Treasury, Timothy Geithner, whom I think, should resign. But let’s return to the kind of road-rage many feel and that doesn’t seem to touch me; why is it? Perhaps, I’m a dangerous enough driver who happens to be very empathetic towards other people mistakes. I should probably build on this remarkable quality and extend it to other areas where my fuse is still very short. That would be a sure way to bring more compassion into my world. Now, tell me, how are your own anger management skills?

No comments: