Monday, March 30, 2009

When ignorance is dumb

We often say that “ignorance is bliss,” but more often than not, it’s just dumb. As few nights ago, while we were having dinner at friends’ place, my neighbor and I were discussing overpopulation. I was telling her that the most important culprit for “global warming” and all other ills we’re facing with the planet environment was overpopulation, but that the issue was systematically swept under the rug. The person, a very well-to-do and self-proclaimed “super-educated” lady, responded that “every one knows that” and that the issue was so obvious that it didn’t deserve to be front and center as a concern. Needless to say that I totally disagreed with her ignorant approach, but suddenly realized that when people are confronted with unfamiliar and destabilizing new paradigms, their reflex response is to deny their validity. This in fact was an eye-opener in my quest to bring change around me. That’s right, ignorance is always very dumb!

No comments: