Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Mid-point reference...

I find it very useful, when I glance into the future, to see the equivalent time period from the past. Let me explain; just yesterday, as I was trying to project myself 20 years down the road, I was also thinking about my stage in life the same 20 twenty years ago, namely sometime in 1989. What has changed in that interval? Lots of things; I was working then, I'm not now, our children were still kids, now they're adults, we still were in the midst of the cold war, China wasn't a major player on the world scene, GM was still a thriving company and the environment appeared okay to most...

I find that approach quite helpful in helping me predict the future, not because I believe history repeats itself – I think it doesn't in the ways most people think – but it helps me put time into perspective and measure the change surrounding me against my own transformation. Try this approach, it's an eye-opener!

No comments: