Sunday, August 9, 2009

Another twist to Craigslist

For year, we've had an extra mountain bike that we would store in the shed during winter and put out come spring, but we actually never use. Yeah, this was an old, suspension-less Scott Boulder that - like thousands of other things – we thought we might use one day but ended up never touching. So, embolden by a recent sale on Craigslist, I decided to list that two-wheeler too. I received just three inquiries for it; two didn't pan out and only one seemed to have some legs; it came from a certain J.J. Beaver.

The man had a website that I checked out and I found that he was running a tool shop. I assumed he lived around Salt Lake, or even Beaver, Utah, given his name. When he announced he finally wanted the bike, he said he'd come and pick it up early this morning. I said “Are you from Salt Lake?” He responded, “no, I'm from Dallas; I'm just flying this Sunday into Salt Lake and will be picking up the bike up upon arrival...”

Just as he said, he came bright and early, wheeled the equipment out of my house, paid me and told me that he was driving to Bonneville Salt Flats to check out some car designs as he had been asked to build one for a friend in Texas (the speed trials are scheduled for September 16 to 19.) The Scott bike will enable him to snoop around, without making too much noise, and find the necessary inspiration. When his mission is accomplished, he'll try to find a Texan driver to haul the bike back home, try to find a buyer on the spot or just leave it there...
Amazing what Craigslist can do...

No comments: