Sunday, August 2, 2009

The end of the Palm era

Yesterday was a bittersweet experience as I sold my Palm device and got forever (?) out of the “Palm culture.” Recurring problems with Microsoft Vista caused me to end that long relationship. A new smart phone will soon replace the magic machine and hopefully I will be quite able to adapt. My addiction for what was once a very innovative device came to an end as a Craigslist buyer from Salt Lake City drove all the way to pick it up, pay me in cash for it and take it over for good.

That's right, it was in 1997 when I got my hand on the first Palm Pilot ever marketed, learned its arcane “graffiti” writing and soon became an expert at it, taking copious notes with its stylus. I then navigated through various iteration of the technology until it became a true wireless device. I even did my very best to “sell” it, with dismal success, to the my wife and children, and in spite of my sincere and selfless efforts remained the only loyal user in the family...

No comments: