Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The pizza trap

Yesterday, I fell yet in another trap when a well-meaning, but misguided friend recommended that I tried Maxwell's for its pizza. You see, Maxwell's is a new eatery, just in the middle of what I find to be this awful place called Newpark, that has been built near the I-80 interstate exchange, 6 miles away from Park City, at the so called Kimball Junction. I would love to say that the horrible architecture of that rushed and sprawling development contributed to coloring my pizza experience, but the pie – if super-sized – was bad, poorly baked and fell short of about everything it represented to be on the menu.

A good Utah, let alone American pizza remain an oxymoron, expect perhaps at Settebello's in Salt Lake City and in the Costco's frozen selection. So that's it, I will never ever believe a non-European that recommends a “good pizza place” to me, and it could well be that the shortest and most rewarding way for me to savor a great “old world pizza” is to jump on the daily Salt Lake to Paris flight and eat a good one in the City of Lights!

No comments: