Saturday, August 15, 2009

Henri Marullaz, 1944-2009

Almost 40 years ago, I was admitted to the Avoriaz Ski School in France to begin a rewarding career in the ski industry. Henri Marullaz was the school's technical director and took all the newbies under his wing and taught people like me how to ski, and boy, did I need his expertise! He patiently showed me how to train, perfect my technique and continuously motivate myself so I would become a much better skier. He was always nice, patient and exuded a “quiet leadership,” the one we naturally respect and learn the most from.

While I taught skiing in Avoriaz, we were good buddies too, further went to know each other better and our mutual respect and admiration kept on growing. The sad thing about this story is that, over the past 35 years, we gradually got out of touch, the typical way, out of routine, neglect and procrastination. Last year, Henri underwent a severe surgical procedure and I promised myself to give him a call to say hi and ask him how he was doing. I put it off and never got around to picking up the telephone and reconnecting.

This morning, I learned that he had just passed away. I felt terrible, not just for his passing and the pains it means to his entire family, but for not having reached out and touched him while he was still with us. I'm terribly sorry to have to say goodbye this way. Henri, your passing is teaching me the painful lesson to say to friends and loved ones how much we appreciate them while they're still here to hear it from us. I'm gonna miss you a lot, but somehow, a great part of you will come back and accompany me every time I'm back on my skis...

No comments: