Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Why real estate agents don't impress me...

I found the real estate profession quite unimpressive ever since I briefly tried my hands to the job at the very beginning of the 1990s. I've always found most of the agent, lacking imagination, creativity and frankly, often lazy and not always ethical.

As a rule, I've decided to avoid doing business with any of them when it can and if I must call one of them, it will be about one of their own listings. I recently got involved in that way with one of them. In working briefly with him, I found the particular gentleman to be a terrible communicator and this – once more - didn't impressed me from the get go.

Yesterday, that same individual calls me about a real estate “deal” he'd like me to get involved with, and insists we need to meet in person because it's a “complicated transaction.” So, I carve time out of my schedule and arrange to meet with the man, outside, on some corner of Main Street, Park City.

The weather suddenly becomes freezing, it's around 5 pm and the obviously the agent isn't there on time. Of course, he has also neglected to make a note of my cell phone number, so he calls home to let me know that he's late; my wife relays his message to me. He finally shows up 15 minutes later and I ask him “what's the deal?” He says: “it's not one of my listings but I would like to represent you; no, the property isn't listed yet.”

I then asked him about the price and he came up with some absurd amount. I then tell him to never, ever bother me again with deals of that sort and, quite ticked-off, I leave.

No comments: