Thursday, February 27, 2014

Are wide skis harmful to the knee?

They might, if we believe a few essays written on the subject. It's pretty clear that a skier can be incredibly cantilevered on a 120 mm underfoot ski while skiing on ice... But, before we start dwelling on the subject, what can be called a “wide” ski? A plank wider than 100 mm underfoot? That does it by my book.
The “thing” probably works on a bottomless powder day that happens 10% of the time, and I'm probably delusional with that percentage, but if you get stuck with these on hard pack, it might take you a week to change edges.

The equipment holy grail is to limit my ski inventory to one pair that can do it all, and it seems to me that I have found it between 80 to 95 mm underfoot. Beyond that, I'm not playing, especially because, in my new home, I'll only get 2 slots on the ski rack instead of 5 today. That's this simple!

No comments: