Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Who are ski racers competing for?

That's a good question; themselves, the spectators? I bring this up following a comment posted about my recent blog on the Sochi men slalom, by Alain Lazard, a former coach and ski industry veteran. I suggest you begin by reading it, then go back to this post.

Most racers and coaches that weren't Austrian or Norwegian were incensed by Ante Kostelic's slalom course, but didn't really care about what the public at large could think. Yet, in the end, the viewing public picks up the tab for the high cost of ski racing. This said, I'd like to re-frame the debate under the form of a light-spirited story.

A tale that Mario Matt, the medal gold winner could have told us:

Mario: “ I really got lucky in the second run; just like me, Ante Kostellic is getting old and, unlike me, he's beginning to 'lose it.' Believe it or not, he mistook me for his son Ivica and this is what he told me”:

Ante: “What kind of a slalom course do you want me to set for you, son, to brighten your day with a little bit of gold?”

Mario: “Sounds terrific, but I don't want to upset anyone anymore with the devilish courses you usually set for me.”

Ante: “Don't you worry, just tell me the traps you need, that's all. I always set my courses by the letter of the book, if not by its spirit. For instance, I worship rule 803.4.1 that says that we should avoid monotonous series of standardized combinations of gates. Further, if all else fail, there's always a Technical Delegate who should do a bit more than taking the generous per diem the FIS gives him to just cruise along. Shouldn't he always make sure that the race conditions are tip-top?”

Mario: “You're probably right...”

Ante: “And spectators are entitled to some fun too; they shouldn’t have to watch a race in which the best go like rockets and the human eye can no longer tell if they straddle gates or fly over them!”

Mario: “I know...”

Ante: “Ivica, I've always told you and your sister that pre-race inspection wasn't just for you to remember the course, but to also check if anything was wrong. Racers can always lodge a complaint with the TD and the Jury. Of course, no one dares to say anything, secretly hoping that Hirscher won't make it to the bottom of the hill!”

Mario: “I know, but I'm not one of those brats that bitches all the time about conditions, Pa!”

Ante: I know, you're a good boy Ivica, but as you know, skiers as good as you can really make a big difference on a difficult snow day with a tough course like the one I'll be setting for you. I'm convinced you'll step up to the plate with your very best skiing; okay you might screw up here and there, but at the finish you'll prevail.

 Mario: “Thank you, Pa; I'll do as you said.

No comments: