Wednesday, May 21, 2014

An conflicted relationship

Recently, a former boss and business partner of mine had a birthday and I was reminiscing our relationship and its ups and downs. This man offered me a opening to come to the United States and get a job here. He didn't give me a job but just facilitated the process with my employer, at the time, and made my easy entry into the United States possible.

Then, there was a catch, as this individual was expecting unflinching loyalty from the folks he ever helped, and this in spite of his manipulative and not always over-board business practices. To stay in the good grace of that person, you needed to flatter, even worship him.

I wasn't ready for that and hence came the split. Some might think I was a bit too smart for him and his deceiving tactics, and that's probably true. At any rate, our relationship grew sour as time went on and as I could clearly see and anticipate his maneuvers. Today it's over and I feel neutral about it, which in matters of past relationships is very, very good.

No comments: