Saturday, May 10, 2014

On to 100,000 miles!

Today, my daughter took us to the airport in a car that I used to drive before I passed it on to her. Just half-way on the short trip, its odomerter passed the 100,000 mile mark.

I've never paid attention or been able to witness that kind of “changing of the guard” and watched a full row of “9s” turn into an even bigger row of “0s” in just one fleeting moment.

When that happened, I thought that I might have experienced that situation before, but after giving it some thought, this was the very first time.

For one thing, ever since I got my driver's license, I drove four cars in Europe with odometers that measured distances in kilometers, and those wouldn't qualify for that contest even though none of them ever exceeded the 62,000 miles (100,000 km) required.

So that left me with automobiles driven in America and I couldn't think of any of the fifteen different vehicles I had the chance to drive ever since I've lived on this side of the Atlantic, that I had pushed beyond the magic 100,000 mile mark while I was either behind the wheel or sitting as a passenger.

A true milestone, pun intended!

No comments: