Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Testing skiers' patience...

It's almost a routine; early in the season, skiers are all glued to the skies and the weather forecast in an attempt to reassure themselves about the next snowfall. We all would love to get 3 feet of snow early in November, but winter and snow cover are, more often than not, a slow and gradual process as it's not rare to see marginal skiing for Christmas and even early January.
To a large degree, snow making is masking this reality, but snow cover, like the rest of our daily lives, is not a guaranteed commodity. As I continue to make my living from the ski business, I know the uncertainty, the anguish and the constant worry about getting or not getting snow at the right moment. Would I have it any other way? I don't think so; it wouldn't be fun.

No comments: