Friday, December 26, 2014

Twenty Years ago: The end of Pre

My last ski-equipment job was with Pre skis, and exactly 20 years ago this week, just in time for my birthday, I was told by Richard Rodstein, then K2's CEO, that the Seattle ski firm was finally pulling the plug on Pre Ski to fully focus on their (now defunct) Pro-Flex mountain-bikes and K2 in-line skates.

While the news felt like classic back-stabbing to me, this lousy business decision was actually a godsend that brought me opportunities I would never have imagined. That's right, you win some, you lose some and what goes around, comes around.

Today, I know that the select group of smart guys that engineered this fateful decision are probably worse off than they ever could imagine and I sincerely feel sorry for them.

No comments: