Tuesday, February 24, 2015

New skis, bad fall and appendicitis

Just 50 years ago, I had purchased my first serious pair of skis. They were Dynastar Compound RG5, an early first torsion box, fiberglass wrapped design, with one-piece hidden steel edges, 207 cm long, and I boy, was I proud of my acquisition.

The third or fourth time I used them, I took a bad fall and managed to cut my right wrist artery. I was bleeding profusely, the ski patrol tourniqueted my arm, put me on a sled and brought me to doctor Vuarnet's office, in Morzine, France. He somehow fixed me, sent me home and that same night the intense emotion, all that gushing blood plus the stress had induced a crisis of appendicitis.

So my parents took me at once to the Thonon hospital were I was operated right away. Skiing can have some dire, cascading and unpredictable consequences!

No comments: