Friday, February 27, 2015

The 35 year-old ski poles

Early December, my old Scott poles broke at the tip after close to 500 ski-days. Pulling from my equipment stockpile, I found a pair of brand-new Look poles that I had horded since 1980.

I removed the old-fashion grip and strap combination, hit my right thumb with a hammer while doing this (it's barely healed today) and proceeded to re-install my old Scott grip and straps. These poles were manufactured by Mecanotex, near Aosta, Italy, in a factory owned by the now defunct Roy Ski brand that is today used by Scott.
The good thing about these poles is their excellent quality and the size of their basket that actually is useful in powder. We didn't have any powder to speak of this winter, but the season isn't over yet and I love my new (old) ski poles!

No comments: