Friday, February 13, 2015

Why skiing stays good as we age...

During my morning run I was passed by a young lady in her mid-twenties. She didn't just passed me, she literally left me in the dust. For a moment I was a bit distraught and then I re seized myself and realized how lucky I was to still be able to ski as fast and as well as I do - at my age.

On skis, I'd probably leave that young lady in the dust! In fact skiing is mostly piloting. You drive your skis where you want them to go.

You sure need some muscles, but mostly to resist compression, accelerations and to set an edge; again, this is a essentially a passive effort, not at all one of the active kind you must produce while running or biking.

For sure, you need a good technique and you must be able to interpret the terrain, but if you have these skills, there's nothing that can stop you. So that's it; skiing is a sport for the aging body. I just need to make certain that I don't damage too much the old chassis!

No comments: