Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Team ski race event

This afternoon, I wasted my valuable time watching the Ski Team World Championship in Vail, under warm, spring conditions and at the worst possible time of the day. While the best won (the Austrians) and despite of that I wasn't impressed with the format which is more circus-like than anything else.
On the one hand, many teams didn't seem to have trained well enough for the event and on the other, quite a few athletes didn't seem to take the matter too seriously. I used to be interested in Pro Ski Racing that used the same system, but not anymore.

Why? Because the course is set in a boring, repetitive manner, luck plays a large role and top skiers aren't necessarily good at it. It takes a special animal to shine in this type of event. Of course Hischer was flying, but that's not a universal truth as it applies to only a few athletes.

So when I hear that this type of race might make it as an Olympic event, I just shake my head and just don't care. I won't watch it!

No comments: