Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Inca creed is what I need!

During our recent trip to South America, we learned about the Inca creed:
  • Don't lie. 
  • Don't steal. 
  • Don't be lazy. 
I liked it a lot. It hit a spot in me, and then I compared it to the Judeo-Christian's Ten Commandments. I was not impressed by the later as I ran my analysis. The first three are God-centered and have little to do with humanity or being a good human:
  • You shall have no other gods before Me. 
  • You shall not make idols. 
  • You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain. 
The next one reminds us to take a break once a week, but as long as we're not lazy, we know how to rest when we need to, so I don't see it as a pillar of order in society:
  • Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 
The following one goes without saying and shouldn't be “commanded”:
  • Honor your father and your mother. 
Even though the Spanish conquistadors knew this one, it didn't stop them from massacring all the Incas they encountered and that resisted their destructive efforts:
  • You shall not murder. 
Then these four next sound just like stealing and lying combined, right?:
  • You shall not commit adultery. 
  • You shall not steal. 
  • You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. 
  • You shall not covet. 
Finally, there's no recommendation about working hard or not being lazy in the version I was brought up with. After serious consideration, the Inca creed is simple, easy to remember and works perfectly for me!

No comments: