Thursday, August 10, 2017

When music triggers memories

I liked some of Glen Campbell's songs who passed away on Tuesday, and in particular "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", that I first heard when I worked for TWA in Geneva back in 1969.

I had taken an airline mechanic job upon being discharged from my military service in the French Air Force.

Beside doing visual check on the Boeing 707 that was used on the daily New York flight, verifying and topping off critical fluid levels, I was also in charge of servicing the “Inflight Motion Pictures” entertainment system, changing the two 16mm films, on 25-inch reels, in both first and economy classes.

In addition, I also checked that the sound system was in working order by using the primitive pneumatic headset piping in-seat audio, through its hollow tube, that let me discover some of Glen Campbell's best songs...

No comments: