Monday, April 1, 2019

Not 60 anymore !

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to ski with my good friend Dirk between Brighton and Solitude resorts, on the other side of Park City, in beautiful Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Not only was powder exceptional with more than one foot of new, untracked snow, but we did our share of exploring. I had never climbed on top of Evergreen Peak, which at 9,850 feet opens up the door to some great powder skiing.

To accomplish this, we have to climb, following a narrow and very steep path on the ridge of that mountain that made us struggle for a good half-hour, carrying skis on our shoulders.

I found that climb extenuating, as each packed step demanded a maximum effort as I had to extend my hips to the fullest, always on the verge of losing my balance.

The last time I did something similar was just on the opposite side, climbing Fantasy Ridge exactly 9 years ago. That's when, huffing and puffing, as we reached the top, I muttered to my companion: “I'm not 60 anymore!”

1 comment:

Dirk Beal said...

Perhaps not 60 any more but a spry 71?!Great outing!