Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Notre Dame conspiracy theories

While Notre Dame's was still smoldering, there were already hundreds of conspiracy theories circulating about what really caused the blaze.

Yesterday, my Republican neighbor sent me one of these "fishy" messages that was clearly one of these made up stories the American extreme right loves to circulate.

I studied the origin of the news and found that it was from PJ Media (aka Pajamas Media), an American conservative opinion and commentary blog, founded in 2004. It's owned by Aubrey Chernick a billionaire entrepreneur and investor.

I told my friend that if the article came from a credible publication like the Wall Street Journal or the Washington Post, I would take it more seriously, but PJ Media wasn't what I'd call unbiased, and neither is Breitbart that happened to be quoted as a source for this article.

I also checked the Figaro, a center-right French newspaper that cataloged all the the "conspiracy theories" that have flourished following the fire at the Cathedral and none appears credible. At this point, the French authorities seem to lean towards an accidental cause.

Of course, what will be critical is knowing the outcome of the investigation that is far from being over as it continues gathering facts. Hopefully, the investigators will find the real cause of the blaze, and then it will finally be time to free the weirdest and latest conspiracy stories...

No comments: