Sunday, August 1, 2021

Do you know the Rocky Mountain beeplant?

For a couple of weeks, I had noticed a flower I thought I’d never seen before called the Rocky Mountain Bee (Cleome serrulata). 

From what I’ve learned after identifying it with my “Plantnet” app, it grows to 150 cm (59 in) tall, with spirally arranged leaves. The flowers are reddish-purple, pink, or white, with four petals and six long stamens. 

Flowering lasts an extended period because it begins at the bottom of the stalk and works its way up. Many species of insects are attracted to it, especially bees, which helps in the pollination of nearby plants. It is native to southern Canada and the western and central United States. 

The plant has often been used for food, to make dyes for paint, and as a treatment in traditional medicine. 

I love it and I will try to plant some in our garden!

No comments: