Sunday, October 1, 2023

The aftermath of another Covid booster

Last Thursday morning, we were in Salt Lake City, and among other errands, we had an appointment for the newly released Covid booster. Yes, so rare and so special that it was per appointment only! My wife, always brave, went first and proudly exclaimed: “It didn’t hurt me a bit!”. I was next, but admitted that I feel a nasty sting. 

The rest of the day went well and it’s only at bedtime that I felt really bad with symptoms that were those of a bad cold. I must say that out of three preceding Covid shots, I had felt bad on two occasions, also with flu-like symptoms, but that would be mild compared to what was waiting for me.

What’s strange is that a few days before that I had my flu shot along with the new respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) vaccine that’s recommended for people over 60 without feeling anything. Anyway, that night, I felt tired and achy all over my body. I slept, but my dreams were bizarre and strangely illogical (not that my dreams are totally logical, but they’re not that weird) that might have been induced by the drugs contained in the shot.

At any rate, when I tried to get up to make coffee the next morning I felt terrible. I started the coffee and had to lay down on the living room sofa, sweating profusely and feeling totally beat up. It took me the whole day to regain a sense of normalcy as my fake-flu progressively faded away. 

In the meantime, my wife said she felt a tiny bit tired, but otherwise fine. I guess some of us are weaker than the rest, and I’m not looking forward to next year’s Covid shot if there’s still such an animal...

No comments: