Sunday, December 30, 2007

Like Parisians do

For years, I’ve always believed that there’s only one right way to place skis on a car rack; namely, tails first and tips behind, in consideration of proper aerodynamics. In the past (mostly when I still lived in the French Alps,) I would scorn folks for placing their tips forward on their roof and with my friends we’d think that only “Parisians” would do that. You see, in the Alps, Parisians are often seen like New Yorkers in America; a bunch of “know-it-all”, yet not very practical. The years have passed, skis have evolved and cars have changed too, and today there is no way I could place my skis with tips pointing back. Don’t ask me why; perhaps it’s the roof design, the shorter, wider skis and their elaborate binding systems and perhaps the way the tailgate hinges on most station wagons and SUV. So for the last seven years, with lots of misgivings and a tiny bit of shame, I have had no choice but placing my skis like “Parisians do.”

No comments: