Thursday, February 28, 2008

Change vs. Experience

Democrats are lucky to have two exceptional candidates to choose from for the upcoming presidential election. While their respective programs are very close, and while both are very brilliant and capable individuals, victory of one over the other is likely to hinge on the perceived differences between “change” and “experience.”
For me experience does matter, but it brings with it some baggage, like for example the danger of believing so much in one’s own paradigm that it’s very easy to become stiff and totally unable to change and adapt. Let’s say that it is an idea that is both old and a bit too rigid. Experience also brings up the notion that the elements that have brought someone success up until this time, might not be valid tomorrow as things evolve and targets keep moving. Change to me is refreshing. It incorporates new landscapes, new ideas; sure, some of it will be good, some of it may be bad, but I’m under the impression that change affords me at least an option. I don’t feel trapped. I also equate change with fertile ground for creativity and believe that it’s also a catalyst for high energy levels. Conversely, I see that experience suggests a static path and fosters much more cynicism, like “been there, done that”.
Finally, I look at the world around me and everything is about change. I see an accelerating movement of transformation in culture, technology, communications, knowledge and society. On the other hand, I have enough experience to have seen lots of “experienced people” screw things up over and over. I’m not just talking about political figures like Cheney or Rumsfeld, but other respectable business people who, under the guise of experience, have kept on doing stupid things and sunk with them.
For all these reasons, I’m now ready for change.

No comments: