Monday, February 4, 2008

A new prophet’s coming

If you follow Mormonism, you probably heard that Gordon B. Hinckley, president and prophet of the Mormon Church passed away last week at the age of 97. He was buried with great ceremony this past Saturday and last night, we saw a re-run of his 1996 interview with Mike Wallace for “60 Minutes.” In it, Hinckley answered some questions, dodged a bunch of them, always with the “smart alec” attitude that characterize so many of his faithful and reminded us of our handyman Lynn T. who used to sneer at us when we asked something and always had the knack of making us feel like an inferior specie. Well that is probably what happens when you believe so much that you’re the “chosen ones” and are clearly soaring above the “rest”. I understand that the oldest of the quorum of the twelve very old apostles is going to succeed Hinckley as a new prophet. I’m a bit disappointed because I thought they’d ask me to step into the job, as I’ve always been very good at forecasting when I worked in sales and that would have been a great experience for my resume as I would have had numerous “revelations” which also are a requirement of the job description. Well, I’ll have to do without that position but still plan to ask the new prophet if the Dow Jones will end up 2008 over the 14,000 point level…

No comments: