Thursday, April 3, 2008

Windshield, armchair and fridge

Most of my life, I’ve lived far into the future, stretching my neck in an effort to see what was coming next. This was a terrible way to hurry things up and compress time. Of course, it was also highly stimulating and filled with all kinds of dreams and plenty of “what ifs.” Those were my “windshield” years, when my glance was glued to the end of the road or to the next bend coming my way. These days were fun, but they robbed me of seizing the moment and fully appreciating the now and then. I’m not saying that I’m no longer looking ahead, but I mostly do it for convenience, for making my life easier or more fun, and no longer to satisfy my quest for advancement. What’s next is not my driver anymore and it has dwindled into a very limited influence.
Since I retired a couple of years ago, I suddenly realized that things should also be observed, tasted, smelled and listened to, and that too would give me immense satisfaction. I’m still in that discovery mode and learning everyday to better master that domain. I’ve come to appreciate the value of “slow time,” the wisdom of standing still and comfortably on the “armchair” of life. I still have to hone my skills in that department, but feel that I’m getting much better at it, and on my way to seize the day. The armchair is now where I live and spend most of my time. Carpe diem!

Finally, there's the "refrigerator" that you might also call the rear-view mirror, but I prefer the ice-box terminology because it conveys the idea of safeguarding. We saw a few days ago that it’s primarily used for keeping good memories and should only used for those. No room for recrimination or for the typical “shoulda, coulda, woulda.” The fridge sits mostly behind me and is only used for providing mental entertainment when I want it.

So now you have it. If you’re really want me, look for the armchair…

No comments: