Friday, November 14, 2008

Salt Lake City no longer landlocked…

A couple days ago, Delta announced that it will start direct flights from Salt Lake to Tokyo early June of next year. After the Salt Lake – Paris flight that apparently is quite successful, we’ll now be able to walk in Ginza only a few hours after taking off from Utah. I remember my days in the ski business when I used to fly a lot internationally; I would buy round the world tickets that were Delta-Swissair “combos” and would take me from Salt Lake, to Portland, then Tokyo-Narita, then Zurich after making a quick stop in Seoul. Then, I’d often stop in Geneva, to go and visit my folks, or Munich and London, and then back home in the USA via New York, Cincinnati, Chicago or Atlanta; too many stopovers always making for an exhausting journey. A direct “arc” between two points is always much quicker and easier and Delta that has just grown to be the largest airline in the world is already talking about adding a direct flight from Utah to Amsterdam, thanks to its Air France – KLM partnership. In these changing times I should perhaps get back to work and resume traveling for a living…

No comments: