Friday, December 5, 2008

Not excellent at everything!

By now, if you’re reading that blog with some regularity, you’re well aware that my number one hero is Leonardo da Vinci. Besides being a lefty just like me, Leonardo could almost do anything and was a creative genius. That’s why I like the man and often convince myself and my entourage that I’m almost just like him. This kind of attitude comes with a price though, because living up to such a reputation demands being good at everything, all the time. Yesterday, as I had left the coffee machine on, which in our household is tantamount to committing a crime, I acknowledged my failure by saying “I can’t be excellent at everything” and was in awe as I discovered the exonerating power contained in that very short sentence. That’s true, leaving the coffee pot on was in my view such a minor transgression that it couldn’t really hurt my almost-perfect image. I liked the effectiveness of these few words so much that I plan to re-use them as soon as I have the opportunity. Promised!

No comments: