Saturday, December 20, 2008

Planted in the snow...

With a new winter season, I’m back volunteering at the Park City racing department. December weather is brutally cold and I’m not yet used to it; the days are both snowy and dark and it takes guts or foolishness to do that! As I have for the past four years, I participate in the “Eric Hays” competitions; a four day racing series involving some 250 young men and women aged 13 to 21 and racing in slalom and giant slalom competitions. For the first day, I was planted in the snow, outfitted with headset and mike to signal the moment racers were clearing a certain point on the course that wasn’t not visible from either the start or the finish; with a daily temperature staying in the 15 degree range, this was a cold assignment and after more than 7 hours of doing just that, I was surprised that I was still alive...

No comments: