Friday, January 21, 2011

Quality vs. Quantity

Would you prefer to live until you're 50 and have a fun, rewarding and fulfilled life or last to the mature age of 90 and endure a mediocre existence? On paper, I'd say that I prefer the former, but since I'm well beyond my 60 year mark I still have no desire to exit the scene, so this might be just a rethorical question, but when some days ago, an acquaintance from many years ago passed a way after a 36 year career as an helicopter skiing guide, I assumed that he had the chance of living a dream life and in spite of passing rather young, his existence might have been fulfilled.

What did I know to even think that? This probably is a way of jumping to conclusions and it's like saying that an attorney's life should be fulfilled by being a top lawyer when in fact she would want to be a congresswoman and later the nation's president. So who knows? Who is there to peg achievement levels on lives and aspirations we don't even know. One thing seems sure to me however; whatever time we've got left should be put to very good use. Yes, it should be put to the highest and best use possible.

No comments: