Sunday, January 23, 2011

Solid vs. Liquid

I'll never be a sailor, I can't swim and can only tolerate the seaside for about five days. I like to see water, but don't play much in it; in fact, I almost drowned when I was a little boy. I can remember being sea-sick non-stop on some ocean liner between Tenerife and Durban. I love to drink it and that's about it. Now turn it into snow and ice and my attitude flips.

I know all the nuances of snow and can almost tell from looking at it how it will respond to my step or under my skis. I can walk and run on icy roads without batting an eye and love to drive my car in treacherous snowy roads. The more, the merrier, it seems. When it becomes liquid, huge bodies of water can scare me to no end, rain often depresses me, but water in its solid form is always my friend. I guess that's why I always will be a mountain lover...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The best and most versatile element: indispensable to carbon based life (2/3 of the body is water), found in all three states in nature, no color, no taste, no smell, dissolves practically everything over time, and totally incompressible (great in use of explosives). It is the miracle molecule.
...and, tastes great with Ricard!
Bill