Sunday, February 13, 2011

America's greatest puppeteer

If you think Jim Hanson of Sesame Street's fame was the most talented puppeteer the United States had to offer, think again. Early last week we watched “American Experience” one of our favorite show on PBS, and that time it featured Nancy Reagan, wife of the late President Reagan, who has over the past 20 years been elevated to the status of political god.

I personally don't think so, I think he was all smokes and mirrors and has been worked into a mythic figure for the convenience of the conservative establishment. If you'd asked me, I'd say he's always been fake, but the most remarkable feat in all this is that it probably is his wife, Nancy, who manufactured this ersatz of a hero. By shear power of manipulation, not much different than that of a talented, lowly puppeteer, she was able to make him into a folk hero. I already believed she was a mean lady, but never suspected she was so talented at pulling strings!

No comments: