Sunday, February 20, 2011

You snooze, you lose!

This past Friday, the first ever “12 Hours of Snowbird,” an endurance ski/snowboarding event, began at 7 pm and ended at 7 am the following morning. That's right, an all-nighter, and while I wanted to participate badly, my spouse used all of her influence talking me out of doing it, saying that it was not something an old guy like me should do. I even tried to convince my good friend Dirk to join me, but for once in my lifetime, I didn't get the support I needed and had to pass on this great opportunity to ski the night away.

When the powder settled and as a new day dawned on the exhausted and sleep-deprived participants, Matt Mullin was declared the winner with 125,643 vertical feet skied, followed by Ski Utah's boss, Nathan Rafferty at a very close 125,532 feet. The Utah record, Dirk Beal and I established last year at 112,750 was obviously shattered, but with it, we'd still would have ended up in 11th position. So considering the good night sleep we got, it wasn't a total loss and, as I never fail to say, there's always next year!

2 comments:

Camillo said...

Curious, if it was the first ever of the event, how did you have the record from last year?

Go 11 said...

Good (snowy) morning Chip!
Dirk Beal and I broke the Utah record for vertical last year at Deer Valley. That's why.
If thinking vertically is something you like, visit the site I built last year on the topic.
http://verticalskiing.blogspot.com/
I'll update it soon to reflect the new 12 Hour of Snowbird's reality...
Make smooth turns, my friend!
JF