Saturday, February 19, 2011

Morzine and Park City: Another connection

Between these two mountain resorts that stand more than 5,300 miles away, there's an ocean and there is roughly half of my lifetime split almost to perfection by eight years of residence in New York. That's why yesterday was quite special to me, as two young ski champions from these ski towns stepped up on the same podium at the World Ski Championships in Garmish, Germany. I happen to know both their parents and can understand these two athlete's joy in reaching the season's pinnacle of excellence.
You might talk about split loyalty, but I really wanted each one of them - Ted Ligety and Cyprien Richard - to win. Since they didn't quite tie that day, there had to be a winner and a second, but that's not the point! They made it together to the top spots and this made my day!

No comments: