Saturday, September 1, 2012

If I were a presidential candidate...

Just like Mitt Romney, I'd talk at length about my parents and grand-parents and how it was hard for them to make a living, but how through hard work and determination, they improved their lives and send me to school. All of this good stuff, except that they still lacked the money to leave France and board a ship headed for the United States.

That's also why I can't be president of this wonderful country! Except for the period of the German occupation, and for all my entire life in France, we were pretty much free to do as we pleased, except that with a European continent already settled for centuries, there was far less room for growth and enrichment than in a brand-new United States.

This said, I would also recognized that I didn't mind paying taxes and even if we reverted to the pre-Bush era rates, I would still love to pay one million dollars in taxes in one year, which means that there would still be plenty of money left for myself and my family. I would also make sure that we fix, once and for all, our public school system instead of re-inventing the wheel with charter schools and other private education outlets.

I'd cut a big chunk of the defense budget because spending as much as the next 14 biggest military spending nations in the world is a bit out of whack, and I'd ask for civility in congress, because it has become the highest demoralizing factor in our Nation's life.

 I'd cut other unnecessary government expenses, fix our crumbling infrastructure and if there's any money left, I'd start repaying our debt. Finally, regardless if I were a presidential candidate or nor, I'd stop seeing Clint Eastwood movies and wouldn't never set foot in a Staples store ever again.

No comments: