Sunday, September 9, 2012

Where are my keys?

I seldom misplace my car keys. I always put them back at the same spot when I'm done driving and for more than 30 years I have hardly ever had to search for them. That was, until early this week. That morning, the weather was a cold 40 degree (4 cent.) and my wife reminded me to put out the garbage.

At that moment, I only was wearing my running shorts and a t-shirt, and felt that I would be a bit cold if I were to wheel my refuse into the street, so I slipped into my robe, which I seldom do inside the house, and that I never, ever wear to go in the street. This morning would be an exception to that weird rule and, clad in my warm, green robe, I opened the padlock that locks our gate to the garden and stood our two large cans by the curb, ready for the truck to come and pick them up.

I then went back to my routine, until later that afternoon, when I needed my car keys as we were headed to the farmers' market. I couldn't find them anywhere inside the house. I enlisted my spouse's help and we both looked absolutely everywhere, from the car to the garage, to my running shorts and jeans pockets, all the way deep inside our refrigerator! Nothing in sight!

After fifteen minute of frantic search, my wife, like the seasoned police detective asked me to hold it, take a deep breath and remember, step-by-step, frame by frame, what I had done since I got out of bed that very morning. I closed my eyes, thought long and deep, mentally retracing my most minute steps of the day. I finally came to the point that I had stuffed the pesky keys, deep inside one of my robe pockets, and that precisely where they still were...

No comments: