Saturday, September 15, 2012

Too much of a good thing?

Electronics in cars have invaded the driver's space and life. It's now possible to take phone calls on the fly and totally hand-free or listen to satellite radio in the most remote and god forsaken corners of the Nation. All the engine functions seem “under control” and appear to work flawlessly until... some odd things happen.

That's right, the other day as I was driving down Galena Summit on my way down to Ketchum, Idaho, my dashboard suddenly went berserk as if the end of the world was coming. A few phone calls and an inspection later at a local dealership, I learned that all that fuss came from a “leaking” gas cap that had sent the wrong signal to the engine computer.

From now on, and every time I fill up, I'll have to tighten up the gas cap as if I were an obsessed-compulsive driver. Good thing, I always can pay more attention!

No comments: