Saturday, November 24, 2012

First day of the ski season...

It's always a mixture of apprehension, uncertainty and excitement that marks my first day of the ski season. As I have written before, I'm never impatient to go skiing and would rather begin late when snow is at its best and end late into spring or even summer.

Then there's also the passing of time that tends to dull the early season's enthusiasm and on top of that, our snow conditions aren't exactly terrific at the moment. So, at first, I wasn't that motivated to dress up, get my gear ready and drive to the ski resort parking lot. I thought I'd do it later in the week. Then after writing the blog about the amazing Keizo Miura, I could no longer stay home if I were to be true to my word.

Now, I had no choice but go skiing! So, once again, I changed course, grabbed my ski pass, got dressed, made sure I wasn't forgetting anything, just like last year, I grabbed a pair of frigid ski boots that were still inside our cold mud room and drove to Canyons for their opening day. Skiing was very limited, crowds were okay, but I only took four runs, just enough to recapture my skiing spirit and somehow re-ignite my technique for another ski season.

True, if I truly want to follow into Mr. Miura's footsteps, I will have to repeat that late morning procedure at least 36 times. Wow! Doesn't look like the fun is going to be over any time soon!

No comments: