Saturday, May 11, 2013

3 D to the rescue...

I have told you about my anxieties about discovering what was hiding behind the shape of that new house. They were in fact so acute that I had to learn Sketchup, a 3D design software by Google, to build a 3D interior view and see what the architect didn't bother to show me. At first, I tried to be cute about it. As an exercise,

I had first built the kitchen, all the way to the cabinets wood-grain the counters granite and was quite proud of my work. When I set to show what was hiding inside the house, room by room, I first tried to be exacting, but soon found myself entangled into a jungle of details, so I cut to the chase and worked with more modest, summary and unsophisticated visual elements.

This ended working beautifully, enough at least to tell me that many changes had to be made, least of these, the entire kitchen that had to be totally redesigned! I guess I could still use several full practice sessions...

No comments: